After countless researching and reading many breast pump reviews, I came to the conclusion that Medela Swing Breast Pump is the best single electric breast pump. Ideal for both stay-at-home moms as well as on-the-go moms, Medela Swing Breast Pump enables faster milk flow, is convenient and portable, comfortable, user-friendly, easy to clean and safe. If you are looking for a pump that fulfills the requirement for intermittent pumping schedules and one that allows convenience, Medela Swing Breast Pump is the best among the other single electric breast pumps.
1) Faster Milk Flow
– Rushing for time? Use the one-touch letdown button.
– That lets you pump immediately without the hassle of waiting.
– There are two modes (simulation and expression) which imitate your baby’s suckling rhythm. The simulation mode starts your milk flowing by the initial rapid sucking rhythm.
– Need evidence? Some moms have managed to pump 4 oz in approximately 5 minutes.
2) Convenient & Portable
– This breast pump fits like a glove, be it in a purse, a diaper bag or a briefcase. It’s no larger than a portable CD player!
– It’s compact enough to be placed on a table top. Alternatively, you can attach it to the belt clip or shoulder/neck strap.
– Stuck in traffic or multi-tasking at home? Use the ‘AA’ battery power option and belt clip on the motor. To be totally hands-free, just cut two slits in a tube top and slide the flange through.
– The Soft Fit TM Breastshield oozes exceptional gentleness and ease.
– The expression mode expresses your milk gently yet efficiently without causing you pain and distress since it follows your baby’s a-natural slower and deeper nursing rhythm.
– It can’t get comfier than that!
– A new mom? No sweat.
– The one-touch letdown button is very easy to use. It’s next to impossible to not know how to use the 4 buttons. Still at a lost? Just use your intuition and it will work.
– You can even control the speed. Additionally, the letdown mode automatically turns on after a few minutes.
5) Easy to Clean
– Hate the thought of clean up? Tired after a full day of work?
– This straightforward cleaning of Medela Swing Breast Pump takes only a couple of minutes of your time. It is really a breeze.
– 100% Bisphenol-A (BPA) free, both Medela breast pump and Medela bottles are safe for you and your baby.
– That is, I believe, of utmost importance, regardless of how many babies you have.
1) Not Totally Quiet
– Some moms commented that the pump is louder than their expectations.
– However, it is certainly softer than Medela Pump in Style or Symphony. Personally, I think it’s a matter of preference.
2) Can Only Pump One Breast at a Time
– Some find that the pump takes very long if they need to pump both breasts in a jiffy.
– Solution? Multi-task! A few ingenious moms found that since it only took one hand to hold the bottle/breastshield, they usually do something else with their other free hand. For example, some use the computer at the same time while propping the bottle on the table at the right height so that they’ll have both hands free!
3) Design Defect – Motor
– The mechanism that attaches the adapter into the motor is faulty. It might be frustrating since you would have to replug the adapter and restart your pumping session.
– Not all pumps have this defect. Nevertheless, if your pump has this defect, it might be advisable not to bring it to work since you would be spending a lot of time to restart your pumping session.
4) Weak Pumping Suction
– Some reviewers found that the maximum suction is quite weak according to their standards.
– However, since some other moms have managed to pump approximately 8 oz in 10 minutes as opposed to others who only managed to pump 1 oz in 20 minutes, I would say this problem hinges on the mom’s pumping technique.
– Some moms also found that the pumps start to lose suction after a while.
– Solution? This problem could be due to your kit and not in the actual pump per se. Some moms found that this is because the membrane on the valve is loose. This membrane is the thin, round, flexible white piece that the milk flows through before reaching the bottle. So, check if the membrane is lying flat against the valve. Then, press it firmly into place and try pumping again. This should do the trick. If your kit comes with a spare membrane or two, perhaps by changing them, you can solve the problem as well.
– Not all mothers face this problem so sometimes it is due to the manufacturing discrepancies.
5) Condensation in the Tube
– This may be because the pump is not cleaned properly.
– Solution? Leave the pump running with only the tubing attached for 2-3 minutes after you have finished pumping. This allows the tube to be aired and dried.
– This method works for many moms so I would not say that this is a problem at all!
Although it looks like there are many problems associated with Medela Swing Breast Pump, do keep in mind that this pump is compared to other SINGLE Breast Pumps. As such, for those moms who want a full-time pump, perhaps it would be wiser to spring a little more cash for the Pump In Style Advanced which can pump both breasts simultaneously. A note of caution: if you are a mother with low milk production issues, I would suggest that you browse over the double pumps instead of looking for a single breast pump. Most lactation consultants would recommend that.
On the whole, if you are looking for a ‘part-time’ pump or can spare more than 10 minutes for a pumping break, Medela Swing Breast Pump should be your pick. After all, as the best single electric breast pump, it enables faster milk flow, is convenient and portable, comfortable, user-friendly, easy to clean and safe. Priced at a low of $115.99 at Amazon, Medela Swing Breast Pump is the one for you if you relish convenience and if you want a ‘helper’ pump.